We’re back and we’re being haunted by all the material we couldn’t fit into the last episode. Happily, we have managed to lay it to rest by discussing it in this second instalment. At least we hope we have. Spectral podcasts are as difficult to exorcise as earworms. We know of only one way of getting such things out of our heads.
Main Topic: Ghosts in Call of Cthulhu part 2
This is the second of two episodes looking at ghosts and how they tie into Call of Cthulhu. The first focused on ghost stories and folklore. This time, we discuss how (and if) ghosts might fit into Call of Cthulhu and the wider Cthulhu Mythos.
While Lovecraft wrote a handful of tales which might be considered ghost stories, these were usually unrelated to his Mythos fiction. We debate whether it is reasonable to draw all of Lovecraft’s work into our own interpretations of the Mythos, regardless of Lovecraft’s intent. Building on that, we discuss which canon elements of the Mythos might serve as substitutes for ghosts in a more purist game. Mostly, however, we just argue about stuff. You know the drill.
Things we mention in this episode include:
- “The Horror at Red Hook” by H P Lovecraft
- “The Music of Erich Zann” by H P Lovecraft
- “He” by H P Lovecraft
- “Hypnos” by H P Lovecraft
- “The Street” by H P Lovecraft
- “In the Vault” by H P Lovecraft
- “The Evil Clergyman” by H P Lovecraft
- The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H P Lovecraft
- “The Outsider” by H P Lovecraft
- The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H P Lovecraft
- “The Dreams in the Witch House” by H P Lovecraft
- “The Haunting”
- “From Beyond” by H P Lovecraft
- The lloigor
- Sapphire and Steel
- The Stone Tape
- The English Ghost by Peter Ackroyd
- “The Ash-Tree” by M R James
- The Felix Castor series by Mike Carey
- Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
- “The Terrible Old Man” by H P Lovecraft
- Pepper’s Ghost
- Tupac hologram
- Walker in the Wastes
- The Walking Dead
- “The Turn of the Screw” by Henry James
- Don’t Rest Your Head
- “Dockside Dogs”
- Pulse (2001)
- The Haunting of Hill House (2018)
- Haunted by James Herbert
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
- “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- Henri Loevenbruck
Concrete Cow 20
Concrete Cow 20 will take place on Saturday the 14th of March. This is Milton Keynes’ own one-day RPG convention, held in the Old Bath House in Wolverton. Tickets are £5 on the door. We will be there and we would love to see you!
Scott on the RPG Heroes Podcast
Scott recently appeared as a guest on the relatively new podcast, RPG Heroes. As the name implies, the main subject is who the guest’s heroes are in the world of RPGs. Klaas also talked to Scott about building atmosphere in horror games and whether Call of Cthulhu scenarios need to be investigations.
Paul on The Grognard Files Podcast
Paul has also been guesting on other podcasts. The recent interview he recorded with Dirk the Dice at Grogmeet 2019 for The Grognard Files is now available for your ears to enjoy.