We’re back and we’re still under lockdown. Like the rest of you, we’re turning to books, films, podcasts and other media to take us beyond these four walls, if only mentally. We thought it might be fun to share some recommendations with you, hence this series of special episodes.
These lockdown episodes are also a way of thanking our Patreon backers for sticking with us in these difficult times. We’re releasing them on the off-weeks between normal episodes. We hope they can provide some distraction from, well, everything.
If you would like to gain access to these special episodes, simply back us on Patreon at any level. We will continue to release our standard episodes every fortnight as usual.
In this episode, we discuss a few horror or weird fiction books we’ve read recently. As ever, we also offer our thoughts about how they might inspire games.
Things we mention in this episode include:
- Arkham House
- Tartarus Press
- Valancourt Books
- Paperbacks From Hell by Grady Hendrix
- John Brosnan
- Slimer by Harry Adam Knight (1983)
- The Fungus by Harry Adam Knight (1985)
- Proteus (1995)
- The Fog by James Herbert (1975)
- The Dark by James Herbert (1980)
- Shrine by James Herbert (1983)
- James Herbert
- The Rats by James Herbert (1974)
- The Survivor by James Herbert (1976)
- The Jonah by James Herbert (1981)
- Fluke by James Herbert (1977)
- The Magic Cottage by James Herbert (1986)
- Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch
- Project Gutenberg
- The Coming Race by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- Our episode on subterranean spaces in Call of Cthulhu
- The Time Machine by HG Wells
- “Oh! You Pretty Things” by David Bowie