We’re back and we’re catching up with our reading. Until recently, we thought we’d seen the most sanity-blasting fanfic the internet could offer. Between terrible prose, wooden characters, and unacceptable levels of horniness, bad fanfic can eat your brain quicker than a hungry ghoul. But this twelfth volume of The Revelations of Gla’aki is in a league of its own. We’re used to Mary-Sue protagonists taking over the narrative, but this Y’golonac character keeps threatening to take over the reader. It’s irritating, but probably not worth losing our heads over.
Main Topic: Y’golonac and The Revelations of Gla’aki
This episode is our latest exploration of the deities of the Cthulhu Mythos. We have devoted previous episodes to Dagon, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlathotep, Hastur, Azathoth, Nodens, Ubbo-Sathla and Mordiggian, Ithaqua, and Cthulhu. This time, we’re returning to Ramsey Campbell, following our earlier discussions of his creations, Daoloth and Eihort, and Gla’aki.
Specifically, it’s the turn of everyone’s favourite headless monstrosity — Y’golonac! As disturbing as Y’golonac’s appearance is, his recruitment techniques are far worse. We spend some time discussing how we might use Y’golonac in our games and how we might avoid crossing any personal lines in doing so.
At the same time, this is also a follow-up to last episode’s exploration of Gla’aki, perusing the tome which connects him to Y’golonac — The Revelations of Gla’aki. This unusual book is almost a character in its own right, stretching the definition of a living document.
And do hang around after the credits for a bonus from our good friends at the HP Lovecraft Historical Society.
Things we mention in this episode include:
- The Revelations of Gla’aki
- “The Render of the Veils” by Ramsey Campbell
- “The Inhabitant of the Lake” by Ramsey Campbell
- The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopaedia by Daniel Harms
- “The Plain of Sound” by Ramsey Campbell
- “The Mine on Yuggoth” by Ramsey Campbell
- “Cold Print” by Ramsey Campbell
- The Inhabitant of the Lake and Less Welcome Tenants by Ramsey Campbell
- The Last Revelation of Gla’aki by Ramsey Campbell
- (Currently to be found in Visions From Brichester, from PS Publishing)
- R’yleh Text
- Cut-up technique
- John Bull
- Aleister Crowley
- The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night
- The Keeper’s Companion
- Swamp Thing
- Len Wein
- Ramsey Campbell’s Goatswood
- Malleus Monstrorum
- “Love’s Lonely Children” from The Stars Are Right
- Grizzly Peaks Radio
- The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll
- Barney the Dinosaur in Guantanamo Bay
- Headless Men
Scott on Blood Moon Rising
Scott recently made a guest appearance on the Vampire: the Masquerade chronicle, Blood Moon Rising, run by our good friend Rina Haenze for The Old Ways Podcast. This is the first of a handful of appearances, with Scott giving voice to William Mallet, a scheming Camarilla elder sent to bring order to San Francisco. Expect bastardry.
Scott on Pretending to be People
And if that weren’t enough, Scott has also been playing an NPC on Pretending to be People. Our good friends Joe and Zach decided that Scott was the natural choice to play Beck Wilder’s mother, Kim. So he did. Kim’s first appearance is in the season two episode, “Printing Press”.