We’re back and we have an angle. Well, it started out as a curve, but then some bits fell off. It’s outrageous! We’re not sure if that was some kind of fall from grace, an earthquake, or just shoddy plastering. Or maybe we’re just being obtuse. Happily, the hounds of Tindalos will be along soon to put us right. Their sense of such things is pretty acute.
Main Topic: The Hounds of Tindalos
Following on from our time travel episodes, we thought we should find an example of how these tropes have been used in the Cthulhu Mythos. Happily, Frank Belknap Long’s seminal story, “The Hounds of Tindalos”, is about as good an example as we could ask for. As well as showing us a very genre-appropriate method for exploring time, it introduces one of the weirdest and scariest antagonists in the Mythos.
We explore the curves and angles of the story, and briefly discuss the life and works of Frank Belknap Long. In addition to his role as a core member of the Lovecraft Circle, Long has the distinction of being the first person after Lovecraft to write a Mythos story. But that was just a small part of a career that spanned over 70 years and multiple genres.
Things we mention in this episode include:
- Time Travel episodes
- “The Shadow Out of Time” by HP Lovecraft
- “The Hounds of Tindalos” by Frank Belknap Long
- Frank Belknap Long
- “The Eye Above the Mantel” by Frank Belknap Long
- Weird Tales
- “The Space-Eaters” by Frank Belknap Long
- “Dark Awakening” by Frank Belknap Long
- New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos edited by Ramsey Campbell
- The Horror From the Hills by Frank Belknap Long
- The Hounds of Tindalos by Frank Belknap Long
- Howard Phillips Lovecraft: Dreamer on the Night Side by Frank Belknap Long
- Chaugnar Faugn
- Plateau of Leng
- The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by HP Lovecraft
- Aldous Huxley
- William James
- Magna Mater
- “The Rats in the Walls” by HP Lovecraft
- Graham Hancock
- “Pickman’s Model” by HP Lovecraft
- “The Haunter of the Dark” by HP Lovecraft
- “Dagon” by HP Lovecraft
- “The White People” by Arthur Machen
- “The Singer From Dhol” from Worlds of Cthulhu issue 2
- The Laundry Files by Charles Stross
- Rivers of London
- The Manhattan Project
- Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia by Daniel Harms
- The Private Life of Elder Things by Adrian Tchaikovsky, Keris McDonald and Adam Gauntlett
- The Tindalos Asset by Caitlin R Kiernan
- Unseen Masters
- Malleus Monstrorum
- Grenadier Models
- Grizzly Peaks Radio
- Alien (1979)
- Twin Peaks: The Return
- Stream of Chaos
- The Two-Headed Serpent
- How We Roll
Paul in Bayt al Azif
Issue 5 of Bayt al Azif includes an article by Paul in which he discusses his favourite beginner scenarios for Call of Cthulhu.
Paul at Continuum
Paul will be at the Continuum convention in Leicester later this month, running games and propping up the bar.
A Weekend With Good Friends
A Weekend With Good Friends starts this coming Friday, assuming you’re reading this shortly after the episode goes out. It runs between the 5th and 7th of July, around the clock.
This is the online RPG convention organised by our lovely listeners and hosted on our Discord server. While the main source of information is said Discord server, we also have a web page with important details and links.
Player signups have closed, but there will be pickup games running throughout the weekend. There are also a number of seminars about Call of Cthulhu and horror gaming. Check out our Discord server for more details.