We’re back and we’re on a bus journey. Sure, this is a bone-rattler, but that’s like combining a gym visit and a massage, right? It certainly seems to have done the other passengers good. Have you seen how long their arms are? And it must do wonders for the feet as well. We can’t even imagine where they buy their shoes. The only question is whether the jolting is also responsible for those odd creases in their necks. It must be. There can’t be any other reasonable explanation.
Main Topic: The Shadow Over Innsmouth part 2
This is the second part of our multi-episode exploration of HP Lovecraft’s classic weird tale, “The Shadow Over Innsmouth”. Last time, we explored the origins of the story and then joined Robert Olmstead for a quick tour of Newburyport.
Now, moving into chapter 2 of the story, we catch Joe Sargent’s bus from Newburyport, travel across the bleak seaside landscape, and then enjoy the faded grandeur of Innsmouth’s buildings. Come for the salt marshes, stay for the extended discussion of roof architecture!
Things we mention in this episode include:
- At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft
- Flotsam and Jetsam on How We Roll
- Salt marsh
- “The Strange High House in the Mist” by HP Lovecraft
- In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
- Widow’s walk
- Car Wars
- A guide to roof types
- Necronomicon Providence
- Monument Circle, Indianapolis
- Gen Con
- “The Thing on the Doorstep” by HP Lovecraft
- “The Dreams in the Witch-House” by HP Lovecraft
- The House of Eliot
- British Government removing street signs during wartime
- Dad’s Army
- Arithmetic and geometric progressions
- “The Conqueror Worm” by Edgar Allan Poe
- Something About Cats and Other Pieces by HP Lovecraft
- The New Annotated HP Lovecraft edited by Leslie Klinger
- HPLHS Complete Fiction of HP Lovecraft audiobook
- “The Dunwich Horror” by HP Lovecraft
- Disappointments rooms
- “Pickman’s Model” by HP Lovecraft
Paul at Grogmeet
Paul will be attending Grogmeet 2023 at Fanboy 3 in Manchester, between the 10th and 12th of November.
Scott Livestreaming at Symphony Entertainment
Scott will be joining our good friends Bridgett Jeffries and Graham Walmsley over at Symphony Entertainment for a short livestream on the 1st of November. The stream will begin at 3 PM EDT/7PM GMT and run for around one hour.
Two New Arcs on Ain’t Slayed Nobody
Scott has also appeared in two new arcs over at Ain’t Slayed Nobody. “Eclipse of the Heart”, written and run by Rina Haenze, is now out in its entirety. This bloody romp through an ’80s high school prom features Camille Brouard, Kathryn Edmonds, cuppycup, and Scott.
Cuppycup and Scott also appear in “The Waking Children”, alongside Bridgett Jeffries and Nic Rosenberg. This is a mini-arc written and run by Malevolent creator Harlan Guthrie, which will be released weekly on the ASN feed, starting from the 24th of October.
Paul reads Porch Pirate, a story by Mike Mason on Mason and Fricker’s Eldritch Stories. Also, Mike and Paul chat about various topics in Eldritch Extras – wherein Paul reads aloud from a blasphemous tome! Look out for a new story from Paul on Thursday.