We’re back and we’re lost in reverie. These dreams are really something — so vivid and insistent. We just wish we knew whose dreams they are. Regardless, they’re inspiring us to create strange, wondrous new works of art. Only, why are we compelled to make them with our own viscera? At least we can arrange these intestines to look like tentacles. Yes, that looks right, doesn’t it? So majestic. So divine. Maybe now we can sleep more deeply and become one with these glorious dreams.
Main Topic: Mythos Deities – Cthulhu
This episode is the latest in our ongoing exploration of the deities of the Cthulhu Mythos. Previous entries include Dagon, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlathotep, Hastur, Azathoth, Nodens, Ubbo-Sathla and Mordiggian, Ithaqua, and Daoloth and Eihort.
We have discussed Cthulhu as a pop-culture icon and Lovecraft’s original story, “The Call of Cthulhu”, in earlier episodes. Still, it is long past time we had one of our usual deep dives into the origins and development of the dead dreamer himself. So here we are.
We’ve paused our discussion of The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath for a few episodes. Matt has been seriously ill, requiring a lengthy stay in hospital. We don’t know how long he’s going to be out of action but we wanted to save the resolution for his return. Until then, we’ve called upon some of our good friends in the podcasting world to stand in as guest hosts.
Things we mention in this episode include:
- “The Mound” by HP Lovecraft for Zealia Bishop
- “The Electric Executioner” by HP Lovecraft and Adolphe de Castro
- Out of Mind: The Stories of H.P. Lovecraft
- Christopher Heyerdahl
- “The Call of Cthulhu” by HP Lovecraft
- Weird Tales
- Lovecraft’s Commonplace Book
- “The Horla” by Guy de Maupassant
- “The Novel of the Black Seal” by Arthur Machen
- “The Kraken” by Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Great Old Ones
- At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft
- Star Spawn of Cthulhu
- Elder Things
- Non-Euclidean geometry
- Abdul Alhazred
- The Necronomicon
- “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” by HP Lovecraft
- Deep Ones
- August Derleth
- The Mask of Cthulhu by August Derleth
- The Trail of Cthulhu by August Derleth
- The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by HP Lovecraft
- “Nyarlathotep” by HP Lovecraft
- Lin Carter
- Brian Lumley
- Robert E Howard
- Cargo cults
- Cults part 1Malleus Monstrorum
- Cults of Cthulhu by Chris Lackey
- John Sumrow
- Peoples Temple
- Matthew Hopkins
- Cthulhu by Gaslight
- Esoteric Order of Dagon
Update on Matt
As we mentioned, Matt has been seriously ill recently. He is well on the road to recovery, however, and may be up to rejoining us soon. More details as they become available.
The Blasphemous Tome issue 9
Issue 9 of The Blasphemous Tome is coming together nicely, much like Cthulhu after some callous sailor rammed a ship through him. We are currently going through the many wonderful contributions we have received and finishing up our own text. The Tome will go out to our Patreon backers at the end of June 2022.
Alien on How We Roll
Our good friend Jon Hook has been running the Alien RPG for How We Roll, and Scott is one of the players. We are currently riding the “Chariot of the Gods” and it’s all looking a bit grim. Oh well. Our bosses at Weyland-Yutani surely have our best interests at heart.